Failed to fetch pymol

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 19 16:01:35 UTC 2018

On Mar 19, 2018, at 08:03, Yanni wrote:

> I'm not sure if this has anything to do with macports but I am using macports to install a specific software called pymol. The laptop is 10.13.3 High Sierra and up to date.
>
> When I try to install it ("sudo port install pymol") I get the error:
>
> "Failed to fetch pymol: subversion check out failed."
>

> Could someone tell me what it means, please?

Please clean (sudo port clean pymol) and try again.

Most ports distribute their source code as a single compressed file, which MacPorts can download from any number of servers across the Internet, including our own mirror servers. If one is down, it automatically tries another until it finds one that works.

But the pymol port is one of the minority of ports that doesn't do that. Instead, it downloads the source code directly from the developer's Subversion repository, which is hosted at SourceForge. It worked fine for me just now, but it depends on the SourceForge Subversion servers being online and functional. SourceForge moved to a new data center some weeks ago, and had many problems initially, which I thought were all resolved by now, but you might still be seeing intermittent failures.