Installing gcc6 on a PPC Mac Mini 10.4 gives me hell

miniupnp miniupnp at free.fr
Wed Mar 21 19:56:15 UTC 2018

Le 21.03.2018 à 19:29, Daniel J. Luke a écrit :
> On Mar 21, 2018, at 2:23 PM, miniupnp <miniupnp at free.fr> wrote:
>> It's quite fun to read exhortations to use upgrade to a more recent
>> system. I'm trying to imagine which hacker could spend time to exploit
>> Mac PPC machines to include them in a bitcoin mining botnet ;)
> or DDOS or SPAM or other abusive behavior that makes it harder for others to utilize a shared resource.
>
> but hey - at least you're having fun...
>
> [It's possible to safely use old systems, but it's not trivial. The easiest way to keep that old hardware useful is to run an OS that is still being supported - it's unfortunate that Apple doesn't keep releasing security patches for older systems, but there's nothing that we can do about that].
You seems afraid of our 10.4 machines currently being exploited to abuse
the internet.
Let me reassure your : mine is currently turned off. Of course I would
not use such machine for production use...
I'm pretty sure that a turned off G4 Mac is less likely to send SPAM
than a state of the art intel machine which even "turned off" is still
running the ME.
You also minimize the economics aspects of security. As someone pointed
out, there are very few PowerPC 10.4 around. Even if easier to exploit
than newer system, who would invest in Mac OS 10.4 support for a SPAM
spending botnet ???
I would really want to see some statistics about the amount of DDOS
attacks or SPAM sent depending on OS/architectures.