Questions on port development

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Mar 25 14:57:52 UTC 2018

On 2018-3-26 01:19 , macports at parvis.nl wrote:
> I'm working on a port for munin 2 as the current macports version 1.4.7 is of 14 mar 2012.
> The munin-node seems to work fine, the server part requires more testing.
>
> (1)
>
> I need a port install munin at 2.0.35 buth without a destroot phase.
> Is there a dummy command for destroot.cmd that allows to build without install? exit 1?

A port with no destroot phase will install no files. I doubt that is
what you want.

> (2)
>
> To prevent clashes with the current macports installation, I think it is best to create a second one.
>
> Guide 2.2.4 Install Multiple MacPorts Copies ( https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.source.multiple ) talks about that. I assume that 2.2.3 Git Install should be done before. confirmation please.

You don't have to use git (and you probably don't want to install from
master anyway). You can build from the release tarball.

> (3)
>
> If I succeed in making this port, how should I do it?
> - create new port munin2 with no relation to munin @1.4.7
> - make this an upgrade for the current version.

Hard to answer without being familiar with munin. Is there a reason why
someone would want to stick with munin 1.x instead of upgrading to the
current version?

- Josh