Questions on port development

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 26 02:57:18 UTC 2018

On Mar 25, 2018, at 09:57, Joshua Root wrote:

> A port with no destroot phase will install no files. I doubt that is
> what you want.

Well it's technically possible to write a port that performs the destroot tasks in an earlier phase. We'd prefer a port not do this, but some build systems are very insistent about building and destrooting together, and in that case the port might do the combined build-and-destroot in either the build phase or in the destroot phase, at the discretion of the port author. We have a very small number of ports that do that.