Installing Octave 4.4.0 (was: Anyone running Gnuplot on a Mac?)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed May 30 12:28:55 UTC 2018

On 30 May 2018 at 12:37, david koloseni via macports-users wrote:

> Hello Guys
>
> I should admit that am very poor in programming. I have been trying to install octave
> 4.4.0 for a number of days and never succeed.  The website Octave for macOS -
> Octave using mac ports  has octave-4.2.2 which I don't like it.

There is an ongoing effort to update Octave in MacPorts to version
4.4.0, but there are still some pending issues/questions which might
need to be addressed before the update is ready. See:

    https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1865

> The other thing is there is no way someone can get good information on how to update
> octave using let say issued tickets. things like which commands? can I use on Terminal

You will not find a set of commands to update Octave in particular, but there is
    https://guide.macports.org/
and for example
    https://guide.macports.org/#development.local-repositories
(which doesn't address pull requests or specifically tickets).

You might get the fastest help on IRC, but I would advise you to try
this only if you are comfortable enough and ready to fix issues if you
happen to end up in inconsistent state after the experiment. The
change requires updating a huge number of ports.

> Otherwise those who are updating information on the above website should update the web.

That site is a wiki, meaning that in principle anyone could edit it,
but none of us is affiliated with that website
(https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_macOS) which in fact still says
that 4.2.0 is current. You should ask someone from the Octave
community if you have more questions.

Mojca