What's the difference between macports docker port and docker.com's docker?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 4 13:46:04 UTC 2018

On Nov 3, 2018, at 09:48, Rainer Müller wrote:

> On 02.11.18 19:25, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:
>> Macports docker port, aka The Moby project...is upstream of the official
>> Docker, so...
>>
>> I guess I'm asking is there anything Docker can do that macports docker
>> can't do?
>
> Not sure I understand the question, because for every software that
> MacPorts provides there is an upstream project. MacPorts is merely
> packaging software developed by the corresponding upstream projects.
>
> If the software in question is completely open source, the software
> distributed in MacPorts will usually offer exactly the same
> functionality as distributed elsewhere.

I think he's asking about the confusion arising from the fact that the open-source components of the commercial software known as Docker were renamed to Moby.

https://blog.docker.com/2017/04/introducing-the-moby-project/

I don't know much about the MacPorts docker port, but I can only assume that we have always provided the open-source components. When they were called "docker", we provided that; now that they are called "moby", we provide that.

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/0f5eea11174bd88fa96ff6f653214af6ff07ad54

I do not know what the differences are between the open-source software now known as Moby and the commercial software offered by docker.com. You'll have to ask them or Google.