Long build?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 6 06:46:14 UTC 2018

> On Nov 6, 2018, at 00:17, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> However the folder for dvisvgm doesn't exist due to:
>
>    $ port_binary_distributable.tcl -v dvisvgm
>    "dvisvgm" is not distributable because its license "GPL-3+"
> conflicts with license "GPL-2" of dependency "libpaper"
>
> (I wasn't aware that not ever GPL-2 is compatible with GPL-3+? Doesn't
> that sound particularly strange?)

Each developer can decide what version(s) of what license(s) their project is released under. libpaper is apparently released under GPL version 2 only, while dvisvgm is released under GPL 3 or later. "2" is not "3 or later" so we can't legally distribute a binary of dvisvgm. The LGPL was designed to solve this kind of problem, but libpaper is not released under the LGPL.