Long build?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Nov 6 06:17:38 UTC 2018

Dear Adam,

On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 at 05:24, Adam Dershowitz wrote:

> I’m upgrading dvisvgm from to 2.3.4_4 to 2.6.1_0.  I’m on a fairly recent MacBook pro, and it has been building for 13 hours!  The process is “make” and it’s taking 100% of just one CPU.  Does this sound correct?

No. Anything longer than a couple of minutes sounds wrong. The build
is not super fast as for some lightweight ports, but it's not
particularly heavy either.

> Should I just kill it and clean the port, then retry?

Yes.

> Also, is there a way to determine which ports are available as binaries from the buildbots?

I agree that it would be cool to have a command to check that
automatically, but at the moment you can check it manually on
packages.macports.org, for example:
    http://packages.macports.org/gcc7/

However the folder for dvisvgm doesn't exist due to:

    $ port_binary_distributable.tcl -v dvisvgm
    "dvisvgm" is not distributable because its license "GPL-3+"
conflicts with license "GPL-2" of dependency "libpaper"

(I wasn't aware that not ever GPL-2 is compatible with GPL-3+? Doesn't
that sound particularly strange?)

Sometimes the binary would not be available due to the builders not
being able to keep up with the queue fast enough, in particular when
someone submits a patch to all gcc compilers at once :), but this
clearly wasn't the case here.

Mojca