How Mojave-ready is MacPorts?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 10 21:27:51 UTC 2018

On Nov 10, 2018, at 14:37, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> are the binaries more or less ready to go?

I have not yet finished telling the buildbot to build all ports on Mojave. I'm doing them in small batches, which I believe is more efficient and allows builds for recent commits to be processed sooner than if I had scheduled a built of all 10,000+ portfiles at once. I've done all categories except the two largest ones, perl and python. I'm about halfway through python. Any perl or python modules that are dependencies of other (non-perl or -python) ports will already have been built, as will any ports that have been updated since the Mojave builder was set up a week after Mojave was released, so at this point we're just down to perl and some python modules that are not used by other ports and have not been updated in the past month.

There have been many build failures along the way, as was not entirely unexpected. I've filed many tickets about those failures that I happened to see in the buildbot waterfall. Some of those have been resolved, others not. Other issues still need to have tickets filed. I'll probably need to write a script to pull all the failures out of the buildbot logs, since we don't have anything set up to do that yet. If there are ports you want to use, check whether any issues are filed against them in Trac before upgrading the OS.

A common problem is build failures with any ports that use xcodebuild. There is a ticket about us needing to modify the xcode portgroup to add a flag for the derived data location. There may also be issues other than that, requiring individual ports to disable the use of the "new" build system which Xcode 10 uses by default, until the developers have time to figure out how to make their software work with the new build system.

And we still have the situation that 32-bit software cannot be built on Mojave at this time. I have not really looked into possible ways of addressing this, as I've been focused on running all ports through the build system and trying to deal with the resulting failures.