How Mojave-ready is MacPorts?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Nov 12 21:09:41 UTC 2018

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 at 21:34, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
> >> So I see; well, it's served me well for nine years...  I only upgrade
> >> hardware when forced to, so I guess it's time to put some of my pension
> >> aside for a MacBook Air or something.
> >
> > There are usually ways of shoehorning newer operating systems into
> > unsupported older systems, at the expense of some performance problems
> > or other issues.
>
> Sure, but after trying to upgrade to High Sierra twice (failing with
> different errors each time; the first was something about incompatibility,
> and the second was a critical file missing), I don't really feel like
> going through it all over again with Mojave.

Since you are talking about the optical drive and 10.6: is your
hardware even officially supported? The last OS officially working
with my MacBook pro from 2009 (hardly different from those from 2012,
the last ones being sold with optical drives) was 10.11. The fun thing
is that once I finally decided to upgrade it, I could no longer even
download 10.11. Yes, I could probably upgrade to 10.12 in one way or
another, but I would then likely get into troubles with security
patches, and I could run into performance issues, at which point I
would probably be better off with hackintosh :)

> Besides, the hardware is
> slowly dying on me; the audio chip is dead (I'm using either USB or BT as
> takes my fancy), the optical drive is damaged, the (replacement) battery's
> lifetime can be measured in minutes, and the system drive is external USB,
> so portable it ain't.

I replaced the SATA cable only three or four times, I bet it could be
the same problem at your end (I've never heard of sata cables failing
on other laptops). But probably not worth fixing if you plan to stop
using it soon anyway.

> For the record, I've been running this thing ever since Snow Leopard,
> faithfully updating all the time.

Mojca