How Mojave-ready is MacPorts?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 13 00:45:31 UTC 2018

On Nov 12, 2018, at 15:40, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> Since you are talking about the optical drive and 10.6: is your
>
> I take it you mean 10.12.6 (Sierra)?  The OS works fine, but Mojave is officially not supported on this model (and I couldn't install High Sierra).

I think you said before you weren't interested, but if you change your mind, or if anyone else is interested, if you Google "unsupported Mojave" you can find a method of installing Mojave on your MacBook6,1. Read the FAQ at the bottom of the page to learn what compromises that might entail.

>> hardware even officially supported? The last OS officially working with my MacBook pro from 2009 (hardly different from those from 2012, the last ones being sold with optical drives) was 10.11. The fun thing is that once I finally decided to upgrade it, I could no longer even download 10.11. Yes, I could probably upgrade to 10.12 in one way or another, but I would then likely get into troubles with security patches, and I could run into performance issues, at which point I would probably be better off with hackintosh :)
>
> The model here (after much digging around) is "MC207xx/A, 13" screen, serno 45008Q7Exxx, late 2009, firmware 6,1 (note the comma)" with 4GB memory (dealer-installed).  I'm told that it can go to 8GB to cut down on the paging, but it's not a supported configuration (otherwise it would compete with the MacBook Pro), and I don't feel like futzing around with the firmware to make it pretend that it's a Pro.

According to EveryMac.com, MacBook6,1 supports 8GB of RAM. No futzing would be required. Apple only supports RAM configurations that were available at the time the model was sold. If 4GB modules were not available in 2009, then they would not claim to support a total of 8GB of RAM. But according to EveryMac your Mac does work with that amount of RAM.