gimp2 install

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 17:47:46 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-14, at 9:29 AM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> You still keep XCode's compiler, MacPorts gives you added compilers for compiling stuff which can be useful! Why do you worry?
> MacPorts compiler can also compile MacOS GUI stuff - up to a certain point when the compiler is too new and has issues with older SDK's.

clang-3.9 is a real sweet spot. New enough to do build almost anything, but not so new as to generate tons of needless errors building software that needs to be tweaked for the latest compiler checks to pass.

Indeed, depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

You can symlink current MacPorts compilers into the 10.6.8 Xcode toolpath and use the new compilers to build all kinds of things that were never imagined possible.

Eventually you run into a problem with the Apple Frameworks being too out of date to support the more modern SDK features the software is calling for, but EVEN THIS is not a hard limit.

See <https://sourceforge.net/p/leopard-webkit/wiki/Home/> for an idea just how far you can go with this...

At some point, it is no longer worth the effort. I have this laptop dual booting 10.6.8 (which I use all day) and 10.13 (which I use afterwards). Best of all worlds.

Ken