gimp2 install

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Wed Nov 14 17:29:30 UTC 2018

Hi Uli,

Uli Wienands wrote:

> At present I have clang 3.4, 3.7 and 5.0 installed. Don't know why not
> 3.9 but then, none of these were deliberately installed anyway, all
> pulled in as dependencies. But I gather from the file you reference
> below this is not enough. In fact, it seems like to follow that I
> really should get rid of all the MacPorts stuff and start from
> scratch. Or is that too extreme?

In my experience when compiling stuff on these older systems (10.5 and
10.6) clang 3.9 is very good... usually it is quite enough, yet works
well! gcc 6 is the other "good one". Both are recent enough...

> Another question is about software (not in MacPorts) that relies on
> the gcc compilers (gcc, gfortran). Do I run the risk that I cannot
> build that anymore? This isn't my own stuff but progs I get from
> others so I don't control what they need. Will gcc still build? The
> specific package I am thinking about is a cli program using Xwindows,
> so macOS GUI stuff is not a concern.

You still keep XCode's compiler, MacPorts gives you added compilers for
compiling stuff which can be useful! Why do you worry?
MacPorts compiler can also compile MacOS GUI stuff - up to a certain
point when the compiler is too new and has issues with older SDK's.

Riccardo