Help please

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Fri Nov 16 04:28:16 UTC 2018

> On 16 Nov 2018, at 11:14 am, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>

> On Nov 15, 2018, at 00:51, jam at tigger.ws wrote:
>
>> The new bit is a Telstra NBN modem (for Aus’s new high speed broadband.) If any Aus user has tamed the Telstra NBN modem please tell me what and how.
>
> Have you tried using a closer mirror instead of the master (which is in Germany)?
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Mirrors
>
> You can separately configure where base is downloaded from during selfupdate (macports.conf) and where ports are downloaded from during selfupdate or sync (sources.conf).
>
> We have a mirror in Australia, unfortunately for some reason they don't mirror base. I'll have to have a word with them about that. Maybe there is another mirror that's closer to you than the master. Maybe try the one in New Caledonia.
>
> The Australian mirror does mirror ports, so you could use it for that.
>
> Trying different servers could also be a troubleshooting step to narrow down whether it's a problem with all rsync traffic or just with reaching specific servers.

Ryan thanks.
The problem is definately the modem. I turned OFF the firewall (actually I need to think thru, why would the modem have a firewall at all, unless bad guys can login to the modem …) and rsync ran perfectly. I tried but was not able to make a modem firewall rule for rsync.
So turn off firewall, selfupdate, turn on is pretty painless.

James