Help please

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Nov 16 21:24:11 UTC 2018

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018, James Linder wrote:

> The problem is definately the modem. I turned OFF the firewall (actually
> I need to think thru, why would the modem have a firewall at all, unless
> bad guys can login to the modem …) and rsync ran perfectly. I tried but
> was not able to make a modem firewall rule for rsync. So turn off
> firewall, selfupdate, turn on is pretty painless.

Again, as an Aussie NBN user I have had zero problems with it, and I
didn't have to do anything special (other than port-redirects to my
FreeBSD server).  You are with T$, aren't you, with the Fast 5355 router?

And yes, you *do* need the firewall enabled, to at least "Medium" i.e.
inbound traffic only in response to outbound traffic, and block everything
below NetBIOS.

You do have remote access disabled, don't you?  And even then, T$ can
"upgrade" your firmware in the middle of the night, and the first you know
about it is when the Mac has dropped the WiFi connection and failed to
restart (you need to disable/enable it, and hope that it gloms onto the
right service).

-- Dave