Help please

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sat Nov 17 02:05:38 UTC 2018

> On 16 Nov 2018, at 8:00 pm, macports-users-request at lists.macports.org wrote:
>
>> I can’t believe that I am the only Aussie macports user plagued by the
>> problem.
>
> Apparently...
>
>> I went to Access Control->firewall and turned it OFF during the
>> selfupdate. I was not able to make a rule that worked for rsync
>
> What about the Mac's built-in firewall?  I have it turned off, because I
> don't need it (the Fast-5355 router supplied with the NBN does that for
> me; nothing can reach the Mac except in response to outbound traffic).

This drifts to OT sorry.
My mac(s) have no firewall on.
I speculate that if the problem is not widespread then telstra delivered other modems with the firewall switched off.
I have a single port forward on port (what the heck) 2234 for ssh.
That is the only access from outside to my mac.
Why on earth would would the modem have a firewall? (but their firmware is ratty so maybe thet are protecting their modem)
Their technical support is of the ‘connect your windows machine to the modem’ level,  not more.

In any event the macports rsync issue is the modem firewall
Thanks for the help
James