port not installing

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 14 19:03:36 UTC 2018

On Oct 14, 2018, at 12:09, M P wrote:

> Yes, I did
> sudo tar xvf /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports.tar
> in
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/tmp
>
> and went fine
>
> the listing is attached
>
> but still
>
> sudo port install nco
>
> Error: Port nco not found

Right, you won't be able to install ports until you have a ports tree and a portindex.

I'm sorry, I don't know why MacPorts isn't able to untar the ports tree for you.

You could manually untar the ports tree in the correct directory and then manually generate the portindex there:

cd /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs
sudo rm -rf ports
sudo tar xf ports.tar
cd ports
sudo portindex

But that would only be a one-time fix; the problem would happen again anytime you sync and you would have to repeat those steps.

Or you could configure MacPorts (sources.conf) to use a source other than the rsync tarball. For example, you could fetch the ports tree from our GitHub repository. Since I don't know why you're running into problems with the rsync tarball, I can't predict whether you'll run into problems with other methods.