mysql-server: The server quit without updating PID file

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 25 13:37:30 UTC 2018

On Oct 24, 2018, at 15:25, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> 	Starting MySQL
>    . ERROR! The server quit without updating PID file (/Users/me/Databases/mysql/data/mysql.pid).

This is probably not a MacPorts-specific problem; you should search the Internet. I did, and one result suggested that this error can occur if the server is already running. Another suggested looking at the permissions of the directory.

It is curious that it is trying to update a pid file in your data directory when your cnf file appear to have told it to put it somewhere else, but I'm not sure if that's relevant. It might be, if the data directory and the place where the cnf file says to put the pid file have different permissions.