mysql-server: The server quit without updating PID file

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 14:37:19 UTC 2018

On 25 Oct2018, at 9:37 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2018, at 15:25, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>
>> 	Starting MySQL
>>   . ERROR! The server quit without updating PID file (/Users/me/Databases/mysql/data/mysql.pid).
>>

> … It is curious that it is trying to update a pid file in your data directory when your cnf file appear to have told it to put it somewhere else, but I'm not sure if that's relevant. It might be, if the data directory and the place where the cnf file says to put the pid file have different permissions.

Sorry, that discrepancy re the pid file was a result of copying relevant information from two different attempts…

File my.cnf does, indeed, now have line:

    pid-file = /opt/local/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

have and the error when trying to start mysqld is:

   Starting MySQL
   . ERROR! The server quit without updating PID file (/opt/local/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid).

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334