configure fails - compiler help

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Fri Oct 26 20:29:26 UTC 2018

Hi Ken,

On 26/10/2018 06:43, Ken Cunningham wrote:
> On 2018-10-18, at 4:54 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>
>> a little experimenting on 10.5 today shows this:
>>
>> $ /usr/bin/ld
>> ld warning: -arch not specified
>> ld: no object files specified for inferred architecture i386
>>

>> $ /opt/local/bin/ld
>> ld: warning: -arch not specified
>> ld: warning: -macosx_version_min not specificed, assuming 10.6
>> ld: no object files specified for inferred architecture i386
>>

>> So - as you can see - MacPorts ld64 port on 10.5 will default to linking in 10.6 libraries if you don't specify otherwise.

This gives me another clue: if it is ld64 is it building a universal
binary? I am on a 32bit Mac.
This question goes beyond ArcticFox, you mentioned ld64 issues for
TenFourFox and that one is 32bit only because it uses Carbon.

>> This is probably not ideal behaviour on 10.5, but nobody is going to change those defaults now. So passing in the flag is the answer.

Not ideal at all - I probably never build 64bit or universal on 10.5

Your fix looks nice however!

Riccardo