Wine on macOS Mojave

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 18 17:37:05 UTC 2018

An addendum to my previous email about macOS Mojave, for users of Wine:

Wine is at its core 32-bit software. On 64-bit systems we offer the Wine ports with the universal variant, but the 64-bit parts are add-ons that don't function without the 32-bit parts. But since we can't build 32-bit software on Mojave anymore, unfortunately we can't offer Wine on Mojave at this time. CodeWeavers (the developers of Crossover and major contributors to Wine) are working on the problem [1] so hopefully we will be able to offer Wine on macOS Mojave and later versions in the future.

If you need Wine, either don't upgrade to Mojave yet, or use a pre-compiled Wine obtained from a source other than MacPorts.

-Ryan

[1] https://www.codeweavers.com/about/blogs/rabhiram/2018/6/26/the-good-the-bad-and-maybe-not-so-ugly