Where Is pgAdmin3 Installed?

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Mon Sep 24 02:00:08 UTC 2018

> On 23 Sep 2018, at 8:00 pm, macports-users-request at lists.macports.org wrote:
>
> So - Mike is a software engineer and has a lifetime in the software industry it appears, and yet how to get from point A to B was not obvious to him. It should be.
>
> I think this points out a common problem people have.

I think your idea is a fine one. For even if Mike has a lifetime etc etc he is not a unix expert since the concepts of path, which or find are somewhat alien to him.

> MacPorts has a great deal to offer all these people, but the entry curve is perhaps a bit steep.

Does Macports cater to the OSS unix folk or to the point-n-click crowd?
I like it as it is and would hate to see pointy-clicky accomodation so I think any of the standard
“Dummies guide to unix”

> I’ve been using MacPorts for a decade or more, so most of this stuff is pretty obvious now, but I remember when it wasn’t.
>
> I think we might use a bit of a one-page introduction for various common software projects — think “A Very Short Introduction to … “ — detailing what people might most likely want to use, and a very straightforward set of instructions on getting started.
>
> How to use MacPorts to install and use:
>
> Databases.
> Compilers.
> Web Services.
> Open-Source Games.
> Software for Math and Physics.
> Software for Teachers.
> Graphics.
> Gnome Software
>
> People who are currently participating in MacPorts but not so much in the Portfile guts of things might well step forward to write these.
>
> We could profile them on the main MacPorts web page.
>

> Ken
>

>> On Sep 22, 2018, at 1:26 AM, Mike Crawford <mdcrawford at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> most (basically all) MacPorts GUI applications are installed in
>>>
>>> /Applications/MacPorts
>>
>> If it had teeth it woulda bit me.

>>> Yes it does.
>>
>> No it doesn't.
>>
>> I've got postgresql10 installed, but it didn't come with psql, nor is
>> psql a package in MacPorts.
>>
>> There is a question about psql and MacPorts on StackOverflow which
>> suggests getting it from homebrew.
>>
>> psql is a command-line interface to postgresql.  But I can use
>> /Applications/MacPorts/pgAdmin.app - it's a GUI interface.
>>
>> I'm going to write a Python web application but I need a manual
>> interface to postgresql so I can re-learn SQL.  I've never used SQL
>> often enough for it to stick.

James