output like "port list all" over the web?

Christopher Chavez chrischavez at gmx.us
Mon Aug 5 02:14:08 UTC 2019

> On Aug 4, 2019, at 7:32 PM, Richard L. Hamilton <rlhamil at smart.net> wrote:
>
> That got me to wondering if there's a way to get the equivalent of "port list all", all on one page, over the web; for someone that might not want to
> install MacPorts, but wanted to see what its current versions of all its packages were (and perhaps even generate feedback on availability of newer
> packages), that might be useful.
>
> I can get that on https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=all but that's not all on one page, and it has a lot of other stuff that makes it more difficult
> to consume as machine-readable.

I’m just another user, but such a page containing all 21000+ ports sounds like an easy way to hang or crash the user's browser, so whatever links to it should probably warn "huge page--might crash your browser". I don't quite see how the complete listing is useful to a human (except maybe someone who likes reading the dictionary or the phone book for fun), so maybe only a plaintext and/or machine-readable format is sufficient.

Repology.org provides a similar paginated, searchable listing of ports available in MacPorts, though mainly for comparing with different package managers. They provide a REST API if you want machine-readable results, but it will only return at most 200 results at a time.

Christopher Chavez