Manual says "diff -uR" but macOS diff doesn't support "-R"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Aug 12 03:08:49 UTC 2019

On Aug 11, 2019, at 14:37, Andrew Udvare wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2019, at 14:52, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>>
>> The manual says:
>>
>> diff -uR $(port dir $portname) . > change-$portname-maintainer.diff
>>
>> However, macOS Mojave’s diff doesn’t understand that. -R is an invalid option. I’m not going to guess here, so what is it supposed to be?
>
> Install coreutils and then run gdiff.

coreutils does not provide diff or gdiff. diffutils does. But there's no need to install this version of diff unless you really want it.

> I believe on BSD diff it's -r.

The manual of diffutils' diff doesn't mention a -R option either; it only mentions -r.

Whoever put that in our documentation probably got confused and was thinking of cp, which has a deprecated -r option and where you should use -R instead.

I've fixed our documentation.

https://github.com/macports/macports-guide/commit/05aab42697a585ed32604b101397393ac16114f1