Logging to syslog (by unbound, nsd, etc.) disappearing in a black hole

Gerben Wierda gerben.wierda at rna.nl
Thu Aug 15 07:46:48 UTC 2019

I’m running unbound. If I use file logging, it neatly ends up in the file I want. If I set syslog in the conf file (this is standard in macports unbound by the way) I get nothing. Logging disappears into a black hole, probably the same black hole where mail logging from postfix disappears in on High Sierra Server.

       use-syslog: <yes or no>
              Sets unbound to send log messages to  the  syslogd,  using  sys-
              log(3).   The  log  facility  LOG_DAEMON  is used, with identity
              "unbound".  The logfile setting is overridden when use-syslog is
              turned on.  The default is to log to syslog.

How do I make sure that I get to see the syslog messages. Probably by adapting /etc/asl.conf and /etc/syslog.conf? Or is it a matter of ASL hiding these kinds of messages from ordinary users? Is there a way to tell asl/syslog to put the logging output of unbound into a (log rotated) file in e.g. /var/log?

PS. Apple is apparently playing around with unbound too:

luna:~ gerben$ ls -l /usr/share/man/man8/unbound.8
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  2342 Aug 23  2018 /usr/share/man/man8/unbound.8

Gerben Wierda
Chess and the Art of Enterprise Architecture <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book/>
Mastering ArchiMate <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book-edition-iii/>
Architecture for Real Enterprises <https://www.infoworld.com/blog/architecture-for-real-enterprises/> at InfoWorld