[libgcc8] compile failure on i386 on 10.6 Snow

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Wed Aug 28 08:19:27 UTC 2019

Ken Cunningham wrote:
>> On 27 Aug 2019, at 15:28, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>>
>> >/Luckily, we'll always have clang-3.7, /
>> That seems like an oxymoron...
>>
>> Is there really no hope of ever getting away from needing such an old
>> version?
>
> Practically, no, not on MacPorts for bootstrapping anyway. clang-3.4
> cannot build a working compiler newer than clang-3.7, so we need that
> stepping stone.
>
> Our current pathway on 10.5 and 10.6 is this:
>
> clang-3.4 -> cctools and ld64 and libcxx and clang-3.7 -> clang-5.0
> +emulatedtls -> rebuild libcxx +emulatedtls

I've taken a new look at
    https://trac.macports.org/wiki/LibcxxOnOlderSystems

and I have some trouble understanding the current instructions

Bootstrapping 3:
(5) & (7) :
    the instructions state +llvm39 ;
    but shouldn't it be +llwm37 ?!?
(10) :
    according to your procedure at described above,
    it shold be clang-5.0 instead of clang-3.9 ?!?
    somebody noted somewhere that clang-3.9 is drepreceated
(11) :
    in lieu of (12) shouldn't clang-3.4 be removed here ?!?
    and how about clang-3.7 and the others if clang-(3.9|5.0)
    has been installed ?!?

And Bill Cole seems to have clang-8.0 running and no clang-3.(7|9)
(Why does everything now want ncurses-bootstrap, which doesn't build???)

And your note about re-building libcxx +emulatedtls isn't mentioned !

And should the instructions reflect the variants Bill Cole has ?!?

Now, I know that 10.6 - 10.8 is only relevant on _!very!_ old HardWare,
so : how many of us do actually have such old HW ;-) ???

> Now -- if you want to get funky about it, gcc5+ can build
> llvm/libcxx/clang just fine. I use that approach on 10.5 PPC.
>
> But you'll never sell that to MacPorts, nor should you, as the one I
> outlined is a well trodden path.
>
> Ken

Presently, I've ripped the whole toolchain out and have started from
scratch on my i386 MacMini in order to try to fix as many of my issues
as possible.

And I'm doing a totally clean install on a x86_64 10.6 MacMini, so I'm
able to experiment a bit ;-) :-D

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
Korsør ; Danmark ; Europa