[libgcc8] compile failure on i386 on 10.6 Snow

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 20:05:37 UTC 2019

> On 27 Aug 2019, at 15:28, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>
> > Luckily, we'll always have clang-3.7,
>
> That seems like an oxymoron...
>
> Is there really no hope of ever getting away from needing such an old
> version?

Practically, no, not on MacPorts for bootstrapping anyway. clang-3.4 cannot build a working compiler newer than clang-3.7, so we need that stepping stone.

Our current pathway on 10.5 and 10.6 is this:

clang-3.4 -> cctools and ld64 and libcxx and clang-3.7 -> clang-5.0 +emulatedtls -> rebuild libcxx +emulatedtls

Now -- if you want to get funky about it, gcc5+ can build llvm/libcxx/clang just fine. I use that approach on 10.5 PPC.

But you'll never sell that to MacPorts, nor should you, as the one I outlined is a well trodden path.

Ken