/usr/local/bin/lynx: Bad CPU type in executable

Michael Newman mgnewman at mac.com
Sat Dec 21 23:04:19 UTC 2019

On Dec 21, 2019, at 19:00, Bill Cole wrote:

> Is it possible that your /usr/local/bin/lynx is a relic of some ancient
> time and a different machine?

Yes. Here’s the whole story:

I wanted to use the lynx trace facility and had forgotten that sometime in the distant past I had installed lynx. So, I installed it via MacPorts. But, when I first ran it I got the Bad CPU error.

That seemed wrong since I had just installed it so I tried both locate lynx and which -a lynx. But both of those only found: /usr/local/bin/lynx.

This was even more confusing.

As suggested, I deleted the old version of lynx and now both which and locate find the MacPorts version.