/usr/local/bin/lynx: Bad CPU type in executable

Andrew Udvare audvare at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 21:46:20 UTC 2019

Sorry, sent to wrong place. Stupid modern mail clients.

> On Dec 22, 2019, at 00:42, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 21 Dec 2019, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> And more generally, remove anything you have in /usr/local.
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#usrlocal
>
> I use /usr/local all the time for stuff I either wrote myself or grabbed
> from somewhere else, without any problems; I reserve /opt/local for MacPorts stuff.
>
> Of course, I've been using /usr/local for some decades on BSD-type boxes, so it's a hard habit to change...
>
> FWIW, FreeBSD (my other main system) uses /usr/local for its own ports system, along with my own stuff etc.
>
> My remaining box, a Penguin, shovels everything under /usr/bin which I detest.

Everyone sort of starts this way but I really dislike this practise. I
don't think autohell should not do this by default. It requires elevated
privileges to write to but it still is not managed by anyone but the
user, but it's not in $HOME. Writing to /usr/local also has security
implications for multi-user systems where usually /usr/local/bin is one
of the first entries in PATH.

I've switched to using local directories in $HOME. In particular, by XDG
standards, ~/.local should be a viable replacement for /usr/local.

IMHO you should get in the habit of using a local directory when you
build your own copies of things:

./configure --prefix=$HOME/.local

And add $HOME/.local/bin to PATH.

Perhaps on BSD it's normal to add to /usr/local but 'penguin' follows
FHS: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

Andrew