/usr/local/bin/lynx: Bad CPU type in executable

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Dec 22 21:07:53 UTC 2019

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> I use /usr/local all the time for stuff I either wrote myself
>
> That's fine.

Thanks :-)

>> or grabbed from somewhere else, without any problems; I reserve
>> /opt/local for MacPorts stuff.
>
> If the stuff you grabbed from somewhere else is something like a library
> or a program that a MacPorts port might use, you can run into problems
> if the MacPorts port inadvertently uses the thing you put in /usr/local
> rather than a copy that MacPorts installed.

Yeah; I'm very touchy about what I install under say /usr/local/lib etc;
if there's a chance that it'll conflict with MacPorts then I don't (or I
fix my error)..

[...]

> That's fine, but there are very good reasons why we tell you not to put
> things in /usr/local. If you do, it is at your own risk, and we don't
> want to spend time helping troubleshoot any issues that arise as a
> result.

After nearly 50 years of programming, I'm pretty good at fixing my own
screw-ups :-)  For the record, I started in school in the late 60s and
have programmed ever since (I'm now 67) with no career change.

-- Dave