/usr/local/bin/lynx: Bad CPU type in executable

Michael Newman mgnewman at mac.com
Mon Dec 23 22:30:06 UTC 2019

On Dec 23, 2019, at 21:06, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> As far as I know, yes it does, by default, which is why, if you install them to their default locations, you should only use one package manager and uninstall the other to prevent conflicts.

I supposed that in an ideal world where a single package manager had all available packages and where broken packages were fixed quickly, that might work.

Unfortunately, this is not the case.

I have been using ffmpeg from MacPorts daily for several years. It broke with the release of Catalina. A ticket has been filed (59750). But, I can’t wait for it to get fixed. I need it every day. The only alternative I could find was avconv, which MacPorts doesn’t have. I don’t know how long it will be before ffmpeg works again.

However, I do have some experience. I used to use sunwait. It broke. I filed a ticket (51700). It took two years before sunwait was fixed. In the meantime, I had to find an alternative.

I’m not trying to be critical here. I understand the situation. This is all done by volunteers who have way more smarts and ability than I have.

The reality is that people are going to use more than one package manager if the need arises.