/usr/local/bin/lynx: Bad CPU type in executable

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 23 14:06:19 UTC 2019

On Dec 22, 2019, at 15:41, Michael Newman wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2019, at 22:04, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Since reclaim prints a list of the ports it will remove, it seems like it's up to you to verify that there isn't anything on the list that you want to keep before confirming the action, and it should not be surprising or scary to you that MacPorts does then remove the ports it said it would remove if you allow it to do
>> so.
>
> No, you’re absolutely right. The scary thing is how stupid and sloppy I seem to be.
>
> On the other hand, the list of ports to be removed was huge. How am I to know if it’s OK to remove something like popt?
>
>> And more generally, remove anything you have in /usr/local.
>
> Isn’t that where Homebrew installs its stuff?

As far as I know, yes it does, by default, which is why, if you install them to their default locations, you should only use one package manager and uninstall the other to prevent conflicts.

> I prefer to use MacPorts, but sometimes I need something that doesn’t have a port, like avconv, growlnotify and others.

avconv is a fork of ffmpeg; we have ffmpeg. If you feel that avconv offers benefits over ffmpeg and you would like us to offer an avconv port as well, please file a ticket or pull request.

We used to have growlnotify as part of the growl port but it was removed in 2017; see:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/bf25ee27d67c2f646f1865559a3a01243c75a3ef

If you believe this removal was done in error -- that the port was still useful -- please file a ticket or a pull request. I myself was fond of growlnotify in the days of Snow Leopard, but the reason growl was removed is probably that growl became non-free with the release of version 1.3 which added support for Lion in 2011. Since then, growl has been available for purchase from the Mac App Store.

If you would like a free alternative to growl, you could try CocoaDialog, for which I maintain the MacPorts port. For documentation, see:

https://cocoadialog.com/v2/#2.3.x

If there are other things you need that we don't have ports for, please file tickets or pull requests to add them.