smtube -- useful little youtube browser.

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 18:04:34 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-02, at 8:01 AM, Uli Wienands wrote:

> Some progress:
>
> I followed Ken's suggestion below (clean and try again). Now the logfile revealed that it was missing libreadline.7.dylib, which caused generation of the make file to fail.
> Sure enough, I have libreadline.8.dylib. Macports does not have the presumably older version 7 anymore.
> Got myself out of that one by manually creating a link to libreadline.8.0.dylib from libreadline.7.dylib. Crossed fingers & tried again: Success. gtk-doc is now installed. (All this hassle for updating by one minor incremental release... sheesh!).

That might work for getting past a frustrated moment, but you'll want to remove that symlink ASAP and rebuild whichever port couldn't find libreadline.7.dylib (almost certainly it's "gawk" which is a notable PITA every time we update readline for this issue.

> Next step is that gnutls does not want to build. I get a message about it cannot build with autoconf-archive being active.

yep, we already worked out that one. You just have to disable autoconf-archive, with the instructions in the message. Takes 10 seconds.  If somebody has some days to spend on it, it might be possible to change gnutls to not break with autoconf-archive is installed -- that is a project I have no interest in taking on.

> I'll have to put this down for now as some real work needs to get done first.
>
> Ryan suggested I file a bug report, unfortunately none of my browsers on this 10.6.8 system work with Github so that has to wait until I get back to my more modern machine.
>
> I am not giving up yet.

No need to give up. Leave mpv on stock SL with me; I thought that worked already.

GitHub is changing it's backend frequently lately -- hopefully we can find some way to use it that works with slightly older Firefox versions. (Some GitHub mobile site, perhaps).  I use "epiphany" but the last few gnutls updates broke it, so i can't recommend that for general use at present.

We'll get there!

Ken