A general philosophical question about MacPorts

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Feb 20 13:14:47 UTC 2019

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 14:13, S. L. Garwood via macports-users wrote:

> So my philosophical question is “Why MacPorts these days?”.

If your question is: "Why a package manager for Mac these days", just
a few numbers.

We don't have any good analytics data, but our competitor saw more
than 6 million installs (not counting those who opted out) of the most
popular package in the last year. This at least tells you that there
is interest in people using a native package manager. I know that our
traffic runs in many terrabytes, but I forgot even the sample numbers.

If you don't care about running your software natively, it's better to
switch to Linux and forget about the expensive hardware.

I would have left macOS if I didn't have a package manager available,
the computer would be next-to-useless.
Even if the software is not packaged (yet), it is orders of magnitude
easier to build it for Mac than without the package manager.

Mojca

Mojca