Heads up: poppler won't build

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Feb 25 06:41:52 UTC 2019

Dear Dave,

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 at 00:55, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Sierra 10.12.6 + latest security updates, MacPorts 2.5.4.
>
> Doing my regular Monday "port upgrade outdated", and...
>
>      --->  Computing dependencies for poppler
>      --->  Configuring poppler
>      Error: poppler cannot be built while another version of poppler is active.
>      Error: Please forcibly deactivate the existing copy of poppler, e.g. by running:
>      Error:
>      Error:     sudo port -f deactivate poppler
>      Error:
>      Error: Then try again.
>      Error: Failed to configure poppler: poppler is active

Yes, I would count it as a bug. Primarily as a bug in poppler build
system, but as a consequence also a bug on our side. I don't know what
precisely happened, but I assume that poppler picks its own installed
headers from the previous version from $prefix and then fails to
build.

This message tells you what precisely to do to work around the issue:
    sudo port -f dectivate poppler
    sudo port install poppler

We usually do something like deactivate hack
    https://trac.macports.org/wiki/PortfileRecipes#deactivatehack
but I don't know why it wasn't done this way (maybe it doesn't work,
maybe there were other reasons ...).

By far the best way would be to fix the poppler build system. I
believe that using the correct order of include flags should work to
find the local version of header files first.

> Note that I do not file bug reports unless I am 100% sure that it is
> indeed a bug, and not my own silly fault; I've had this policy for 40+
> years.
>
> So,
>
>      ozzie:~ dave$ sudo port -f deactivate poppler
>      --->  Unable to deactivate poppler @0.72.0_0, the following ports depend on it:
>      --->       gimp2 @2.10.8_3+python27
>      Warning: Deactivate forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
>      --->  Deactivating poppler @0.72.0_0
>      --->  Cleaning poppler

This is expected. You probably wouldn't have poppler installed if it
wasn't for another piece of software that pulled it in. The force
deactivate was there precisely for that reason: you would temporarily
leave some port broken until you reinstall that package.

> Hmmm...  Proceed regardless:
>
>      ozzie:~ dave$ sudo port -p upgrade outdated
>      Nothing to upgrade.
>
> (Yes, I'm in the habit of using "-p" to get past broken ports.)
>
> Well, I don't (yet) use GIMP, and I have no idea what "poppler" is, so I
> guess I can live with it.

Just run "sudo port install poppler".
(That's not a question for you, but doesn't gimp need to be rebuilt
after poppler update?)

Mojca