Some glitches while porting Ola (openlighting.org) - autoreconf not found

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sat Jan 12 16:44:38 UTC 2019

Dear Christoph

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 at 17:12, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> Following the steps in
>
> https://www.openlighting.org/ola/mac-install/

Do you just want to use the port or did you want to help with the
development of that port?

It seems that we have the latest version of the software already
packaged in MacPorts, so unless that's broken (you should let us know
if it is), by far the easiest way to install it would be via

    sudo port install ola

and this is probably also what the official documentation should
suggest trying first.

I'll try to answer some of the other questions nonetheless:

> I’m stumbling across some hurdles:
>
> first off: they ask me to install py27-protobuf
>
> and in the next step I should do a python —version and should install the pyXX-protobuf fitting my python version.

That's probably a slightly unfortunate wording. What I suspect the
author meant was that if you happened to have python2.6 installed by
default (instructions might be of an older date), you would install
py26-protobuf INSTEAD OF py27-protobuf. Note that python2.6 should no
longer be used anyway.

In your case you probably did
    sudo port select python python36
which gives the python version that's likely too new for ola (I didn't
check if it supports python 3; the version in MacPorts uses python 2.7
in any case).

(Or, reading further from your latest reply, it's more likely that you
installed python3 via Homebrew? What does "which python" return? If
you are mixing HomeBrew and MacPorts, you should at least try to
remove one from the path to make sure that you don't end up with half
of the binaries from one manager and the other half from another.)

You could set the environment to use python 2.7 by default (and then
switch back) with
    sudo port select python python27
or you can use
    /opt/local/bin/python2.7
direction when needed.

> But python —version gives 3.6.7 with me here. I don’t want tp spoil my python environment, so I did nothing about it.
>
> Then comes the actual reason of my question:
>
> I did a git clone of the project and then I’m instructed to do a
>
> autoreconf -i
>
> but there is no autoreconf.

It comes with
    sudo port install autoconf