help on restore

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Jan 27 20:11:12 UTC 2019

Hi,

Personally, I think this is anyway a better approach. I never follow the migration instructions word for word. I create the lists of all ports and requested ports, but instead of just blindly reinstalling them all, I manually reinstall those I want via the requested list. It is usually not that long a list. The reason I do this is default variants and deps can and do change over time, and can be different for different OS versions. So just blindly reinstalling them as as per the old OS often just does not work.

So, yes, I recommend you just manually reinstall them one by want, using the default variants as of now, unless there are some explicit changes you need.

Chris