help on restore

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 27 20:14:55 UTC 2019

On Jan 27, 2019, at 14:02, Comer Duncan wrote:

> Well it crapped out just the same way after I removed all +universal instances in my ports list.  Am I now looking at putting back my original ports by hand?

Hopefully that's not required. However I'm not sure what to try next. Maybe someone else can help.

Some problems with the restore process have been posted to the mailing list before. Maybe you can find those messages in the archive; maybe they contain helpful suggestions.

It could be there's a problem with the dependency chain of one of the ports (such as a circular dependency, which isn't allowed) which was introduced sometime after you last updated your ports. I see you last updated in September, so that's quite a long time -- quite a lot of changes to the ports tree in that time -- so it's tough to say at this moment if that's likely to be the reason.

Migration time can be an opportunity to streamline your set of installed ports. Instead of reinstalling all the ports you had installed, you could just reinstall the ports you actually need. (If you followed the optional steps of the migration instructions, that list of ports would be in requested.txt.) That may take less time, and may coincidentally resolve whatever issue is preventing the full set from being installed.