A couple of questions re:Mysql, MariaDB

S. L. Garwood slgarwood at icloud.com
Mon Jan 28 12:21:06 UTC 2019

Do the MacPorts maintainers have a recommendation whether to imbed MySQL or MariaDB in an application? I am porting a medium size SQL lookup application for SOHO use on a Mac Mini and am free to choose (as long as the API stays compatible). It appears that at this time (Jan 2019) that the MariaDB port is behind a bit. (MariaDB is 10.2 vs current 10.3 from MariaDB site and MySQL is 5.7.17 vs 8+ from Oracle.
I like MariaDB and its open source philosophy - not so sure about committing to an Oracle product (MySQL). I also have had some crashes while testing using MySQL on Mojave that appear to be of the ‘branch to nowhere’ type (this is using MySQL 5.7.17. Are there any plans by the maintainer to move to 5.7.25)?

I don’t need a flame war over the relative merits of each.
I’ve used them both and know the pluses and minuses. Just looking for input since this is the one time I can freely pick one. After this it will be too expensive to move.
What are the feelings of the maintainers regarding the long term feasibility of MySQL vis-a-vis MacPorts?

Thanks for any input.