vi copy/paste - maybe a bit OT

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Thu Jul 4 10:03:23 UTC 2019

Use the GUI version of vim (/Applications/MacPorts/MacVim.app). Or use regular vi / vim in a different terminal emulator that doesn't behave as you
describe.

AFAIK, if your terminal display is restored after exiting vi, the terminal provides (and vi uses, via the smcup and rmcup terminfo strings) an alternate
buffer, for full-screen use.  Ideally, that alternate buffer should NOT include any scroll back, so I think the behavior you describe might even be a bug.

Maybe there's a preference that I don't remember that would fix that for Terminal.app; or maybe some other escape sequence settings for smcup and
rmcup might fix that.  If there's a really complete list of escape sequences for Terminal.app (aside from those of a color xterm, if there are any differences),
I don't know where to find it, unfortunately.