Migration Woes - Can’t Install Xcode Command Line Tools

Michael Newman mgnewman at mac.com
Fri Jul 12 06:58:00 UTC 2019

This on a 2010 MBA that I only visit once a month. This visit I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from Mavericks to High Sierra. That upgrade wasn’t flawless, but it’s working. I also installed a compatible version of Xcode from the App Store.  Now I’m stuck trying to install the command line tools. Earlier today I kept getting network errors and now every time I try it gets stuck on "Finding Software".

I have not yet installed the appropriate version of MacPorts nor have I uninstalled my installed ports. (They all seem to be working.)

I’ll only be here a few more days, but I hesitate to proceed until I install the command line tools.

What should I do if I’m unable to install the command line tools before I go back home?

====

Aside: To be honest, it’s not clear to me if I have to separately install the command line tools if I have already done a full install of Xcode. The migration instructions say:
"After a major system change, update the development tools by ​installing the latest version of Xcode. Open the Xcode application once after installation and follow any prompts. Install the command line tools package as well (run xcode-select --install)."

This implies that you need to install the command line tools separately from Xcode.

But, when you run Xcode-select —install, the resulting dialog seems to indicate that installing Xcode also installs the command line tools.

I remain confused.

Mike Newman
Korat, Thailand

--