Re: Migration Woes - Can’t Install Xcode Command Line Tools

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 12 15:43:18 UTC 2019

On Jul 12, 2019, at 01:58, Michael Newman wrote:

> This on a 2010 MBA that I only visit once a month. This visit I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from Mavericks to High Sierra. That upgrade wasn’t flawless, but it’s working. I also installed a compatible version of Xcode from the App Store.  Now I’m stuck trying to install the command line tools. Earlier today I kept getting network errors and now every time I try it gets stuck on "Finding Software".
>
> I have not yet installed the appropriate version of MacPorts nor have I uninstalled my installed ports. (They all seem to be working.)
>
> I’ll only be here a few more days, but I hesitate to proceed until I install the command line tools.
>
> What should I do if I’m unable to install the command line tools before I go back home?
>
> ====
>
> Aside: To be honest, it’s not clear to me if I have to separately install the command line tools if I have already done a full install of Xcode. The migration instructions say:
> "After a major system change, update the development tools by ​installing the latest version of Xcode. Open the Xcode application once after installation and follow any prompts. Install the command line tools package as well (run xcode-select --install)."
>
> This implies that you need to install the command line tools separately from Xcode.
>
> But, when you run Xcode-select —install, the resulting dialog seems to indicate that installing Xcode also installs the command line tools.
>
> I remain confused.

Because of changes that Apple made starting with macOS Mojave, some work was put into MacPorts to make it work with only an Xcode installation, so that a command line tools installation was not also necessary. So having just Xcode should work in most cases.

However if you previously had both Xcode and the command line tools installed before upgrading macOS, then after upgrading macOS you should upgrade both Xcode and the command line tools. Upgrading only one or the other will leave you with a mismatch which could cause problems.

`xcode-select --install` presents you with a dialog box through which you can initiate either an installation of Xcode or an installation of the command line tools. If you want to do both, initiate `xcode-select --install` a second time after you've finished doing the first one.

If for some reason the download via `xcode-select` isn't working, you can download both from https://developer.apple.com/download/more/