Problems With Mysql57

Michael Newman mgnewman at mac.com
Fri Jul 26 22:09:00 UTC 2019

> On Jul 26, 2019, at 19:00, Christopher Chavez wrote:
>
> Not sure about your other issues, but the `port select` problem was
> reported a while ago:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/58197 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/58197>
Yes, I’m aware of that. But, I don’t understand the consequences. Is the port select problem fatal, or can I go ahead and try to use MySQL?

Background: I originally installed the System Preferences version of MySQL years ago in order to set up an XBMC media library. I stopped using XBMC and didn’t give MySQL another thought. Just the other day I was diagnosing another problem when I noticed that there was an entry every ten seconds in the System Log saying that launchd had tried and failed to run mysqld. As a result, the mysql.err file had grown to over 11 GB and had over 150 million lines of error messages. The fatal error seemed to be:

2019-07-20 01:09:54 16104 [ERROR] Can't open the mysql.plugin table. Please run mysql_upgrade to create it.

I tried to do that, but it didn’t work. So, I decided to completely delete MySQL and reinstall the MacPorts version.

Perhaps that was a bad idea.