10.5 Leopard and 64bit support

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Thu Jun 20 19:08:29 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I have a question which may be tricky - or not, I am a little confused.
I want to compile and test an application (ArcticFox) on 10.5 but as
Intel 64bit, something which I need to check out some strange issues I
am facing in 10.5 support. The issues I have are 32bit related, so I
want to exclude that first.

Up to now, I could not, since I have two MacBooks: the 10.6 running one
is 64bit, but the 10.5 has a 32bit CPU.

So, I think, let's get a third one, with 64bit cpu, install 10.5 and test!

Now, clearly 10.5 has 64bit support, however, freshly booted and
installed, I notice that all processes (by Apple) are running in 32bit mode.

How will MacPorts install? I fear everything in 32bit. Or is it smart=
How can I build 64bit apps? Do I need to enable the universal variants
of clang and gcc, like I did on 10.6 do compile 32bit versions?

XCode allows build 64bit apps and they will run! that "proves" that
Apple shipped all bundled apps 32bit, but it indeed can run 64bit and
also that Xcode can.... and MacPorts?

Riccardo