10.5 Leopard and 64bit support

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 20 19:34:57 UTC 2019

On Jun 20, 2019, at 14:08, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> I have a question which may be tricky - or not, I am a little confused. I want to compile and test an application (ArcticFox) on 10.5 but as Intel 64bit, something which I need to check out some strange issues I am facing in 10.5 support. The issues I have are 32bit related, so I want to exclude that first.
>
> Up to now, I could not, since I have two MacBooks: the 10.6 running one is 64bit, but the 10.5 has a 32bit CPU.
>
> So, I think, let's get a third one, with 64bit cpu, install 10.5 and test!
>
> Now, clearly 10.5 has 64bit support, however, freshly booted and installed, I notice that all processes (by Apple) are running in 32bit mode.
>
> How will MacPorts install? I fear everything in 32bit. Or is it smart= How can I build 64bit apps? Do I need to enable the universal variants of clang and gcc, like I did on 10.6 do compile 32bit versions?
>
> XCode allows build 64bit apps and they will run! that "proves" that Apple shipped all bundled apps 32bit, but it indeed can run 64bit and also that Xcode can.... and MacPorts?
>
> Riccardo

The default MacPorts build_arch on Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 on Intel Macs is i386 (32-bit). If you want 64-bit, you can edit build_arch in macports.conf to be x86_64. On 10.5 this will probably work fine. On 10.4 it is less likely to work well since IIRC many Mac OS X libraries weren't 64-bit yet.

The default MacPorts universal_archs on 10.4 and 10.5 is i386 ppc. If you want i386 x86_64, or even i386 x86_64 ppc, you can edit universal_archs in macports.conf.

If you make a change to these archs, it would be best if you uninstalled all ports first. MacPorts isn't designed to detect changes in these values, so if you change them, MacPorts won't know that it should rebuild dependencies.