universal/i386-related issues after upgrading to mojave

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 2 08:31:28 UTC 2019

On Nov 2, 2019, at 01:31, raf wrote:

> at first, i changed my macports.conf to put i386 back into the universal_archs
> variable but later found out that xcode (i guess) no longer supports compiling
> for i386 so i changed it back to the default.
>
> restore_ports.tcl had trouble processing my myports.txt file becaise it
> included some universal ports with i386.

You cannot build for i386 on Mojave or later. Apple has removed 32-bit support from macOS. That includes building universal. Remove any "+universal" from myports.txt before trying to restore. Don't try to install any port with the +universal variant on Mojave or later.

> i thought deleting the i386 from archs='x86_64 i386' in myports.txt would fix
> it but it didn't. now i get errors that say:
>
>  Error: Requested variants "" do not match those the build was started with: "+universal".
>  Error: Please use the same variants again, or run 'port clean ncurses' first to remove the existing partially completed build.

> any idea what i need to do?

Do what it says: sudo port clean ncurses

For good measure, maybe clean any other ports that are unclean. You can either run "sudo port clean all" and wait a long time, or you can speed up the process by only "sudo port clean"ing those ports whose names are in the directory names inside /opt/local/var/macports/build.

> the .../ncurses/main.log file that mentions contains:

>  :debug:sysinfo macOS 10.14 (darwin/18.7.0) arch i386

Don't be concerned about this "i386". This "i386" is meant to be read as "Intel, as opposed to PowerPC".