failure to get gcc9 running

Hans Goedbloed J.P.Goedbloed at differ.nl
Mon Nov 4 16:12:24 UTC 2019

​

Hi,

I have upgraded my mid 2014 MacBook Pro to macOS 10.14 (Mojave) and installed macports and, next, tried to install gcc9. This resulted in an endless series of failures to activate ports, one after the other. At last, I took the recent advise to Ryan Schmidt (Nov. 2) of a similar problem to clean all ports:"sudo port clean all". This looked to bring me somewhat further, up the point that the procedure appeared to hang and the Mac fan made an enormous noise, and again it resulted in errors:

[/Users/hansgoedbloed]$sudo port install gcc9

Password:

---> Computing dependencies for gcc9

---> Cleaning gcc9

---> Updating database of binaries

---> Scanning binaries for linking errors

---> Found 9 broken files, matching files to ports

---> Found 4 broken ports, determining rebuild order

You can always run 'port rev-upgrade' again to fix errors.

The following ports will be rebuilt:

 cmake @3.15.5

 readline @8.0.000

 gdbm @1.18.1

 llvm-8.0 @8.0.1

Continue? [Y/n]: y

---> Computing dependencies for cmake

---> Cleaning cmake

---> Computing dependencies for readline

---> Cleaning readline

---> Computing dependencies for gdbm

---> Cleaning gdbm

Warning: No port perl5.8 found in the index.

---> Computing dependencies for llvm-8.0

---> Cleaning llvm-8.0

---> Scanning binaries for linking errors

---> Found 9 broken files, matching files to ports

---> Found 4 broken ports, determining rebuild order

---> Rebuilding in order

    cmake @3.15.5

     readline @8.0.000

    gdbm @1.18.1

    llvm-8.0 @8.0.1

Warning: The macOS 10.14 SDK does not appear to be installed. Ports may not build correctly.

Warning: You can install it as part of the Xcode Command Line Tools package by running `xcode-select --install'.

---> Computing dependencies for cmake

---> Fetching distfiles for cmake

---> Attempting to fetch cmake-3.15.5.tar.gz from https://distfiles.macports.org/cmake

---> Verifying checksums for cmake

---> Extracting cmake

---> Applying patches to cmake

---> Configuring cmake

---> Building cmake

---> Staging cmake into destroot

---> Deactivating cmake @3.15.5_0

---> Cleaning cmake

---> Uninstalling cmake @3.15.5_0

---> Cleaning cmake

Warning: The macOS 10.14 SDK does not appear to be installed. Ports may not build correctly.

Warning: You can install it as part of the Xcode Command Line Tools package by running `xcode-select --install'.

---> Computing dependencies for cmake

---> Installing cmake @3.15.5_0

---> Activating cmake @3.15.5_0

---> Cleaning cmake

Warning: The macOS 10.14 SDK does not appear to be installed. Ports may not build correctly.

Warning: You can install it as part of the Xcode Command Line Tools package by running `xcode-select --install'.

---> Computing dependencies for readline

---> Fetching distfiles for readline

---> Attempting to fetch readline-8.0.tar.gz from https://distfiles.macports.org/readline

---> Verifying checksums for readline

---> Extracting readline

---> Applying patches to readline

---> Configuring readline

---> Building readline

---> Staging readline into destroot

---> Unable to uninstall readline @8.0.000_0, the following ports depend on it:

--->       gdbm @1.18.1_1

Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.

---> Deactivating readline @8.0.000_0

---> Cleaning readline

---> Uninstalling readline @8.0.000_0

---> Cleaning readline

Warning: The macOS 10.14 SDK does not appear to be installed. Ports may not build correctly.

Warning: You can install it as part of the Xcode Command Line Tools package by running `xcode-select --install'.

---> Computing dependencies for readline

---> Installing readline @8.0.000_0

---> Activating readline @8.0.000_0

---> Cleaning readline

Warning: The macOS 10.14 SDK does not appear to be installed. Ports may not build correctly.

Warning: You can install it as part of the Xcode Command Line Tools package by running `xcode-select --install'.

---> Computing dependencies for gdbm

---> Fetching distfiles for gdbm

---> Attempting to fetch gdbm-1.18.1.tar.gz from https://distfiles.macports.org/gdbm

---> Verifying checksums for gdbm

---> Extracting gdbm

---> Applying patches to gdbm

---> Configuring gdbm

Error: Failed to configure gdbm, consult /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_databases_gdbm/gdbm/work/gdbm-1.18.1/config.log

Error: Failed to configure gdbm: configure failure: command execution failed

Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_databases_gdbm/gdbm/main.log for details.

Error: rev-upgrade failed: Error rebuilding gdbm

Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.

Then I took the advise to "install SDK as part of the Xcode Command Line Tools package". This worked fine, but did not make a difference. And, finally, I took the advice to "run 'port rev-upgrade' again to fix errors":

[/Users/hansgoedbloed]$sudo port rev-upgrade

Password:

--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors

--->  Found 5 broken files, matching files to ports

--->  Found 2 broken ports, determining rebuild order

You can always run 'port rev-upgrade' again to fix errors.

The following ports will be rebuilt:

 gdbm @1.18.1

 llvm-8.0 @8.0.1

Continue? [Y/n]: y

--->  Computing dependencies for gdbm

--->  Cleaning gdbm

Warning: No port perl5.8 found in the index.

--->  Computing dependencies for llvm-8.0

--->  Cleaning llvm-8.0

--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors

--->  Found 5 broken files, matching files to ports

--->  Found 2 broken ports, determining rebuild order

--->  Rebuilding in order

     gdbm @1.18.1

     llvm-8.0 @8.0.1

--->  Computing dependencies for gdbm

--->  Fetching distfiles for gdbm

--->  Verifying checksums for gdbm

--->  Extracting gdbm

--->  Applying patches to gdbm

--->  Configuring gdbm

Error: Failed to configure gdbm, consult /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_databases_gdbm/gdbm/work/gdbm-1.18.1/config.log

Error: Failed to configure gdbm: configure failure: command execution failed

Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_databases_gdbm/gdbm/main.log for details.

Error: rev-upgrade failed: Error rebuilding gdbm

Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.

It all leads me nowhere. Was it a mistake to upgrade to macOS 1014 for this MacBook? It all worked nicely before with the Fortran compiler g95. However, that does not work anymore with the new system, so I had to download gcc9. Gave me this enormous sequence of errors which I do not know how to fix. I will greatly appreciate assistance on this.

Hans