postgresql83-server - Further Woes

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Nov 5 03:09:02 UTC 2019

On 4 Nov 2019, at 17:22, Michael Newman via macports-users wrote:

> The only solution offered by the developer of DetectX was to tell
> DetectX to ignore changes to macports plist files.
>
> That seems to defeat the purpose of DetectX.
>
> DetectX is supposed to warn you of possible nefarious changes to your
> system. Choosing to ignore a possible problem is no solution.

There is no rational explanation for the DetectX claim that the
postgresql83-server launchd plist is changing repeatedly. That file is
gone: you removed the port. Unless you are repeatedly installing and
uninstalling the postgresql83-server port, that file IS NOT flashing in
and out of existence.

I don't use DetectX so I can't say for sure, but it seems to me that
this behavior is consistent with it having a saved state of some sort
against which it is comparing the current state. In other words: DetectX
remembers that the postgresql83-server plist was there before, and sees
that it isn't there now.

If that is a correct guess about how DetectX works, then there should be
some way to update the saved state to accommodate the disappearance of a
file without permanently ignoring a whole class of similarly situated
files.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org