failure to get gcc9 running

Hans Goedbloed J.P.Goedbloed at differ.nl
Sat Nov 9 14:48:23 UTC 2019

Hi Peter, Ryan and Chris

Thanks for your replies and advise on how to get macports and gcc9 running on my mid 2014 MacBook Pro with macOS 10.14 Mojave installed. That finally worked!

I then tried to repeat the process for my late 2014 iMac with macOS 10.14 Mojave installed. To avoid a repetition of all previous mistakes, I wrote a procedure based on your suggestions + some on Xcode that I collected from the web. (Since there are numerous complaints on Xcode 11.2 and Catalina, I downloaded Xcode 10.0.) Below is the procedure, together with the very disappointing result that gcc9 again failed to be installed. I have no clou on what went wrong and how to fix it. I am very interested in your advise.

And, yes, I have learned from the previous experience, I will better my life from now on and perodically update macports.

Cheers,
Hans

Procedure to install Xcode, macports and gcc9 one a late 2015 iMac, with macOS 10.14 Mojave installed

1. Dump the present version of Xcode Xcode 11.1 that came with Mojave):
	-- move Xcode from the Applications to the trash
	-- remove Xcode alias from the dock
2. Clear the auxiliary files of Xcode:
	rm -rf ~/Library/Developer
	rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.dt.Xcode
	-- restart the machine
3. Clear all ports:
	sudo port -fp uninstall installed
4. Check that the port list is empty:
	sudo  port -qv installed
5. Install Xcode 10.0:
-- Open the website 'Migration - MacPorts'
-- move to "2.1.1. Install Xcode on OS 10.9 or later"
-- Click the  text "from the Apple developer website"
After log in with the Apple id a long list of possible downloads appears, "More Downloads for Apple Developers".
-- Click Xcode 10 (14 Sept 2018, far down the list) and double click 'Xcode 10.xip', which is downloaded (in the upper right corner of the 'developer.apple.com' window, below a small vertical arrow, a tiny window with a progressing blue line appears); takes about 10 min. Xcode_10.xip is now in the Downloads folder. Double click expands it to Xcode 10.0 (a small window "Archive Utility" on the desktop shows the progress); takes about 6 min.
-- Move Xcode to Applications and put an alias in the dock
	-- Open Xcode once and follow any prompts
6. Install the command line tools:
	xcode-select --install
7. Check that the port list is still empty:
	sudo  port -qv installed
8. Install macports:
Open the website 'trac.macports.org'
-- click 'Installing Macports in the Guide'
-- click '2.2. Install MacPorts'
-- choose `MacPorts-2.6.2-10.14-Mojave.pkg'.
That package appears in Downloads. Double click and installation proceeds up to the message "Installation successful", takes about 1 min.
9. To check that the installation is working, open a new terminal window and type
	port version
	The reply is: "Version 2.6.2": OK!
10. Install gcc9:
	sudo port install gcc9
The reply is in the attached file
 	'Failed installation gcc9 - (1) Terminal Saved Output 9-11-2019'
which ends with
--->  Installing libgcc9 @9.2.0_1
Error: Failed to install libgcc9: no destroot found at: /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc9/libgcc9/work/destroot
Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc9/libgcc9/main.log for details.
Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.
Error: Processing of port gcc9 failed
I do:
	cd /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc9/libgcc9
	cat main.log
The reply is in the attached file
	'Failure report man.log - (2) Terminal Saved Output 9-11-2019'
which I do not understand.
Still stuck!
11. Check the port list:
	sudo  port -qv installed
      The reply is:
[/Users/jpg]$ sudo port -qv installed
Password:
  bzip2 @1.0.8_0 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:08:42+0100'
  cctools @921_4+llvm80 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:09:17+0100'
  gcc_select @0.1_8 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='noarch' date='2019-11-09T12:09:17+0100'
  gettext @0.19.8.1_2 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:08:49+0100'
  gmp @6.1.2_4 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:09:17+0100'
  icu @65.1_0 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:08:45+0100'
  isl @0.21_0 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:09:18+0100'
  ld64 @3_1+ld64_xcode (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:09:18+0100'
  ld64-xcode @2_1 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:09:18+0100'
  libcxx @5.0.1_4 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='noarch' date='2019-11-09T12:08:38+0100'
  libedit @20191025-3.1_0 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:08:41+0100'
  libffi @3.2.1_0 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:08:42+0100'
  libiconv @1.16_0 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:08:48+0100'
  libxml2 @2.9.9_3 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:08:52+0100'
  llvm-8.0 @8.0.1_0 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:09:10+0100'
  llvm_select @2_0 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='noarch' date='2019-11-09T12:08:42+0100'
  ncurses @6.1_0 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:08:38+0100'
  openssl @1.1.1d_0 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:08:53+0100'
  xar @1.6.1_4 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:09:05+0100'
  xz @5.2.4_0 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:08:51+0100'
  zlib @1.2.11_0 (active) platform='darwin 18' archs='x86_64' date='2019-11-09T12:08:51+0100'
A number of ports are there, but not the essential ones pertaining to gcc9.
No clou on how to proceed!

Attached: