MacPorts 2.6.2 broke during upgrades

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Sat Nov 9 22:26:27 UTC 2019

Hi Ryan,

On 2019-10-23 04:19:30 +0200 Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

>> I cannot even list outdated packages, look:
>
>> $ sudo port list outdated
>> sudo: Can't mkdir /var/db/sudo/multix: File exists
>
> This is certainly odd. It sounds like it is trying to create the
> directory
> /var/db/sudo/multix but a file or directory of that name already
> exists. You
> might try deleting the file or directory /var/db/sudo/multix (or at
> least
> temporarily renaming it to something else) and see if that helps
> anything.
>
> A similar problem was reported on reddit some years ago. In that
> instance,
> the problem appears to have been a bad hard drive. You might check
> your disk
> with Disk Utility and use some other method of verifying the drive's
> SMART
> status, and make sure you have current backups just in case.

The hard disk is new, I changed it, it is only a few month old SSD.

After a few days, I retried and it worked. A reboot apparenlty did
wonders. I think there are sometimes issues with putting the Mac to
sleep that confuse the filesystem, I expreienced sometimes that files
are not found when they do exist.

> I also want to point out that there is no need to use sudo when
> performing
> read-only operations like listing ports, and also that "list
> outdated" is
> probably not the command you want to run; the command you probably
> want is
> "outdated". See https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#portlist.

Yes, port outdated is better. I just issued the command because it was
an easy way to reproduce the issue.

Riccardo